We are extremely passionate about two things: Our talented team of Cardeans and our bold vision of translating real-time biological signals into digital information, which in turn leads to products and applications that will positively impact and transform our future.
By integrating molecular biology with semiconductor electronics, we have linked computers directly up to the live signals of biology for the very first time. Using a biocompatible nanomaterial – graphene – which is a near perfect conductor as it is only one atom thick, we have patented uses of this material to gain a signal resolution high enough to listen into real-time molecular interactions. That means, our technology effectively taps into biology’s internal communication to expand or replace current optical and static measurements with interactive live streams of multi-omic signals and analyses.
We’re driven by this vision, and we need talented people who share it, as we’re rapidly growing and looking for talents who are self-driven, enjoy wearing many hats, and thrive in a collaborative environment. If you think you fit our dynamic and fun culture, please consider joining us to help shape a new paradigm in science, building a new generation of natural resources and applications that can Link up to Life™.
About the Role
The ideal candidate for this role will have previous experience in Medical Diagnostics or Life Science Instrument Design and Integration. Leading a team of hardware and software engineers who partner with internal and external scientific teams, you will have the opportunity to experience a highly collaborative, cross-functional, and multi-disciplinary work environment across Project Management, Biology and Biochemistry R&D, Electrical Engineering and Chip Design R&D, and other functions. Moreover, our Innovation Partnership Program is enabled by collaboration with partner companies as well as third party software and engineering firms to develop first-in-class prototype systems built around Cardean Transistors.
These systems and prototypes will integrate software from UX/UI, electronics control and signal read out, to data analytics and display; hardware encompassing the ecosystem of robotic and microfluidics – optics, precision motion, electronics; and electronics related to Cardean Transistor electrical inputs and outputs of biochemical binding events.
We are looking for someone who has the dedication and focus to teach and lead internal teams in system architecture while translating system and subsystem requirements to coordinated internal/external development workstreams. The candidate will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
Responsibilities, but not limited to
- Lead hardware and software integration team to design and develop systems and subsystemsfor sample preparation, liquid handling, Cardean Transistor inputs and outputs, signal processing and data analytics displayed in user preferred formats
- Be a subject matter expert in architecture design and down selection to meet system-level requirements and translate into critical-to-quality metrics that provide specifications and requirements for internal and external software and hardware development
- Lead hardware/software integration testing, performance characterization, requirements analysis, test design, test execution, defect and customer complaint root cause investigations, and risk and hazard analysis. Work with suppliers and contract manufacturers to provide feedback. Perform prototype acceptance testing to evaluate and improve design ideas from external teams
- Design subsystems of fluid handling that range from robotic, automated benchtop systems to microfluidic devices
- Work with assay development, chip development, and manufacturing teams, ensuring well-designed and executed experiments toward fully integrated systems and prototypes
- Synthesize user experience, cross-functional requirements, and issues into design proposals to improve product design
- Perform in-depth trade-off analysis of technology, systems architecture, and design alternatives for new products/platforms
- Ownership in following areas: systems architecture and requirements, risk management, product verification & validation and design transfer to manufacturing
- Conduct FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis), and other reliability-related tests as needed.
- Develop Design History Files and documentation for transfer of final, tested designs to commercial and manufacturing teams.
- Contribute to the selection and qualification of critical suppliers/partners for both fast prototyping and volume manufacturing.
- BS in engineering, life sciences, or related discipline such as Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Biomedical Engineering, etc. An MS or PhD degree is preferred
- 5+ years of industry experience as a hands-on product developer (e.g., System Integration Scientist / Engineer, System Development Scientist / Engineer, or related occupation)
- The ideal candidate will have a strong background with experience in Systems Engineering including Requirements Management, Hazards Analysis, System Architectural Development, Functional Modeling, Systems Integration, Statistical Test Design, Verification and Validation, Reliability Engineering, and Failure Modes Effects Analysis
- Demonstrated ability to translated User Experience to build software tools and utilities to solve complex system problems
- Experience working within an agile Software Development environment
- Experience in several of the following areas: micro-fluidics, bio-conjugation techniques, surface chemistry, programming languages, robotics, and molecular biology
- Knowledge of statistical analysis skills (e.g., DOE programs such as jump), SQL, Python, R or other programming languages, and 3D modeling CAD packages, such as Solidworks and AutoCAD highly desired
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work with a closely within a team as well as be able to interact with diverse members of the company at large
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Onsite at Cardea’s San Diego location