We are extremely passionate about two things: Our talented team of Cardeans and our bold vision of translating real-time biological signals into digital information, which in turn leads to products and applications that will positively impact and transform our future.
By integrating molecular biology with semiconductor electronics, we have linked computers directly up to the live signals of biology for the very first time. Using a biocompatible nanomaterial – graphene – which is a near perfect conductor as it is only one atom thick, we have patented uses of this material to gain a signal resolution high enough to listen into real-time molecular interactions. That means, our technology effectively taps into biology’s internal communication to expand or replace current optical and static measurements with interactive live streams of multi-omic signals and analyses.
We’re driven by this vision, and we need talented people who share it, as we’re rapidly growing and looking for talents who are self-driven, enjoy wearing many hats, and thrive in a collaborative environment. If you think you fit our dynamic and fun culture, please consider joining us to help shape a new paradigm in science, building a new generation of natural resources and applications that can Link up to Life™.
About the Role
The Controller at the Director or Senior Director level will be responsible for oversight of all accounting and finance functions including financial reporting, internal controls and compliance, financial planning, tax, and treasury. The successful candidate will work closely with the company’s external audit team to refine and support an effective environment of financial reporting and controls. The Controller will report to Cardea’s Chief Operating Officer.
Responsibilities, but not limited to
- Key partner to COO and CEO who will provide strategic guidance for accounting and finance related business decisions based on experience and current industry guidance
- Lead effort to design and maintain effective internal controls over the accounting and financial reporting processes to ensure compliance
- Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across the company, upholding federal, state, and local legal standards
- Oversee all aspects of general ledger activities and accurate, timely close process (accounts payable, prepaids, accruals, fixed assets, trend reports and analysis, etc.)
- Manage technical accounting, including staying current with the latest GAAP pronouncements, writing of memos, and implementing new FASB statements.
- Manage financial planning and analysis processes, including budgeting, forecasting, management reporting and ad-hoc business analysis and reporting
- Responsible for treasury functions including banking relationships, debt strategy and management and asset management
- Lead and direct corporate tax compliance for annual returns, annual provisions as well as tax projects, as needed. Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements
- Lead financial system implementations or integrations when necessary
- Lead and direct planning and coordination of audits and quarterly reviews. Ensure timely and successful completion of financial audits.
- Support financing initiatives, due diligence, and transaction execution
- Provide detailed accounting support for manufacturing process around cost account methodology, returns processing and inventory accounting
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Business or Accounting required.
- CPA or MBA preferred
- 3-5 years of audit experience, ideally at a Big Four accounting firm, required
- 3-5 years managing an accounting team in a company with manufacturing, including responsibility for inventory and cost accounting, required; Preferably in Biotechnology or Life Sciences industries
- Hands-on experience with updated revenue recognition accounting requirements. Deep knowledge of US GAAP and SOX regulations
- Experience with NetSuite or other ERP and planning systems preferred
- Ability to solve problems proactively and independently
- Organized and detail oriented
- Onsite at Cardea’s San Diego location